Frank Lill & Son, Inc. is proud to offer a full line of services to the coal fired power generation community. Throughout our rich history we have built, maintained, upgraded, and added on to some of the largest coal powered generating facilities in North America.
Over the years we have worked on multiple grass-root projects in this discipline as an EPC Contractor (Engineering, Procurement, Construction), GC (General Contractor), CM (Construction Manager), DB (Design Builder), and Critical Mechanical Erector.
In addition to grass-root plant construction, Frank Lill & Son, Inc. is your go to contractor to preform major plant outages, inspections, repairs, maintenance, upgrades, conversions, and environmental/emissions compliance work.
Select List of Past Coal Projects:
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville VA - On this project, Frank Lill & Son, Inc. was hired to totally renovate UVA’s Combined Heat and Power Plant. The Project included demolition of two coal fired boilers, three precipitators and one gas and oil fired boiler. These were then replaced with one, new field erected, coal fired 90,000# St./Hr. boiler, two gas and oil fired package boilers, and three new scrubber baghouse trains. The project also included replacement of the existing coal handling, ash handling, water treatment and control system for the CHP. Blackstart capabilities were also upgraded and expanded.
- USAF Malmstrom AFB, Great Falls, MT - Frank Lill & Son, Inc. renovated boiler duct work and ash handling systems. We also made pollution control upgrades to three existing coal fired boilers in the base’s CHP plant.
- SUNY Binghamton, Binghamton, NY - Frank Lill & Son, Inc. was awarded this major project to upgrade and renovate the entire four boiler coal fired CHP plant at SUNY Binghamton. The project included total boiler rebuilds, coal handling and ash handling system renovation, addition of 1 MW blackstart capability and a complete plant control system replacement.
- Eastman Kodak Boiler 44, Rochester, NY -This project included the demolition of 250 foot tall steel stack and all of the breeching installations, coal handling installation and ash handling installation for a new 500,000# St./Hr. coal fired boiler.
- University of Illinois, Champaign, IL – Frank Lill & Son, Inc. rebuilt the plant's electrostatic precipitators, erected a new ash handling systems and erected a new ash silo.
- Cumberland City Generating Station T.V.A., Cumberland City, TN - Frank Lill & Son, Inc. performed breeching change out on 12 ESP’s attached to two 1350 coal fired MW boilers. After this three year project our firm has been involved in numerous breeching, scrubber, and plant precipitators’ projects. Recently we performed $13 million worth of back end upgrades repairs during a 6 week outage.
- PSEG Bridgeport Harbor Station, Bridgeport, CT - Frank Lill & Son, Inc. had the installation of a complete Mercury Reduction System, including breeching, new knocked down baghouse and ash handling system on a 365 MW coal fired boiler. We later installed major modifications to the plants coal conveyor systems.
- General Motors/Rochester Products, Rochester, NY - Frank Lill & Son, Inc. Furnished and erected one 55,000# St./Hr. coal fired boiler with auxiliaries at the Lexington Avenue Plant and furnished and erected two 40,000# St./Hr. coal fired boilers with all boiler island auxiliaries at the Lee Road Plant.
- SOHIO Lima Ohio Refinery, Lima, Ohio - Frank Lill & Son, Inc. had the total mechanical construction and installation on a 70,000# St./Hr. coal fired fluidized bed boiler. This plant was built as a pilot plant for bubbling bed technology in the early 1980’s.
- AES Somerset, Barker, NY - Frank Lill & Son, Inc. has performed numerous outages and maintenance activities at this 675 MW facility.
- Goodyear Cogen, Niagara Falls, NY - Frank Lill & Son, Inc. completed the erection of a 250,000# St./Hr. Pyro Power CFB coal fired boiler. We furnished and installed a new plant ash handling system including a new ash silo.
- RG&E Russell Station, Rochester, NY - Frank Lill & Son, Inc. performed numerous outages and the installation of the stoker grates and fuel feed systems for the burning of RDF in the existing 500,000# St./Hr. boilers.
- N.Y.S. MidState Correctional Facility, Marcy, NY - Frank Lill & Son, Inc. renovated coal fired boilers as well as plant auxiliary equipment and added a new baghouse with breeching and new DDC Control System.